Details to Hollow-Fiber-Filter module’s
Hollow-Fiber-Filter (HFF) membrane module - is a device that can serve to transfer selected gases, liquids, particles between two fluids across a membrane. Often the HFF module is a cartridge with an outer rigid wall equipped with tube housing end covers. Inside the cartridge a bundle of thin wall tubular straws, lumen (the membrane) fabricated from controlled pore size polymeric material such as polyethersulfone. This bundle of straws is in each end sealed, cast into end covers inside the tube housing separating the straw inside surface from the straw outside surface - hereby appearing as a Cross-Flow-Filter (CFF). The HFF cartridge has technically a first broth inlet, a second retentate outlet and one or more third permeate outlet(s). The cartridge is in each end mounted with end covers, caps equipped with ports, flanges for further connection.
HFF modules are typically based on a stack of straws, lumen with inner diameters (ID) of 0,5 or 1 mm. Lately also available in 2 and even 3 mm diameter for biotech purposes.
PerfuseCell has good experience in pre-assembling P-SUBs with:
- Spectrum size D or T, material/pore size P20U - dry straw, pore size 0,2 µm (200 nm), 1 mm fiber diameter - choose the length you want
- Polyethersulfone (PES) Micro-Filtration modules made with hydrophilic PES provided dry and without preservative (like Glycerin soaked)
- Installed PES modules are ready for use - just unpack from the dual bag enclosure
- MLL (Male Luer-Lok) - FLL (Female Luer-Lok)
- Note the Spectrum model D02 material mPES have 12 fibers and D02 material PES have 14 fibers – influence on surface area and your performance calculations!
Most popular standard available from Spectrum is asymmetric HFF structure modules for R&D work.
- Circulate DI water, buffer or media after unpacking and check permeate reach 2 ml/cm2 flow rate
- Follow manufactures recommendation is always good !
- See also our Trips & Tricks