Details to Hollow-Fiber-Filter module’s
Hollow-Fiber-Filter (HFF) membrane module - is a device that can serve to transfer selected gases, liquids, particles between two fluids. Often a HFF device is designed with an outer rigid wall tube equipped with tube housing end covers. Inside the HFF a bundle of thin wall circular straws, lumen fabricated from porous polymeric material such as polyethersulfone. This bundle of straws is sealed, cast into end covers separating the straw inside surface from the straw outside surface - hereby appearing as a Cross-Flow-Filter (CFF). The HFF has technically a first broth inlet, a second retentate outlet and one or more third permeate outlet(s).
HFF modules are typically based on a stack of straws, lumen with inner diameters (ID) of 0,5 or 1 mm. Lately also available in 2 and even 3 mm diameter for biotech purposes.
PerfuseCell has good experience in pre-assembling with:
- Spectrum size D or T, material/pore size P20U - dry straw, pore size 0,2 µm (200 nm), 1 mm fiber diameter - choose the length you want
- Polyethersulfone (PES) Micro-Filtration modules made with hydrophilic PES provided dry and without preservative (like Glycerin soaked)
- Installed PES modules are ready for use - just unpack from the dual bag enclosure
- MLL (Male Luer-Lok) - FLL (Female Luer-Lok)
- Note the Spectrum model D02 material mPES have 12 fibers and D02 material PES have 14 fibers – influence on surface area and your performance calculations!
Most popular standard available from Spectrum is asymmetric HFF structure modules for R&D work.
- Circulate DI water, buffer or media after unpacking and check permeate reach 2 ml/cm2 flow rate
- Follow manufactures recommendation is always good !
- See also our Trips & Tricks